This continuing education (CE) session was planned to meet the needs of pharmacists and other clinicians who routinely prescribe, verify and/or monitor medications.
This presentation will review resources available on drug shortages, including communications and mitigation and prevention strategies.
At the end of this program, attendees should be able to:
- Explain factors that contribute to drug shortages and current trends in drug product shortages.
- Describe the role of ASHP in drug shortages communications.
- Describe the role of FDA in drug shortages communications.
- Describe the role of the FDA in mitigating and preventing drug shortage.
- Identify current drug shortages using various resources.
- Describe how to report drug shortage to the FDA.
- Explain the impact of drug shortages in patient safety.
- Describe what infrastructures are needed to effectively respond to drug shortages and minimize their impact in patient care.