This continuing education (CE) session was planned to meet the needs of pharmacists and other clinicians who routinely prescribe, verify and/or monitor medications.
This presentation will review and apply the latest diabetes treatments, and discuss pipeline medications currently in development.
- Recall the diagnostic criteria of diabetes mellitus according to the American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- Compare agents used in the treatment of DM, including their mechanisms of action, adverse effects, contraindications, cardiovascular effects, and overall effectiveness
- Review injectable agents used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Select appropriate blood pressure and lipid targets for a patient with DM
- Design appropriate treatment regimens for a patient with DM and obesity, HTN, and dyslipidemia
- Discuss acute and chronic complications associated with DM and strategies to prevent or slow disease progression
- Review landmark trials in type 2 diabetes management
- Given a patient case, recommend appropriate treatment strategies for initiation of therapy as well as adjustments of therapy when the current medication therapy is not optimized
- Identify novel and pipeline agents expected to be used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus